Thursday, October 13, 2011

Another Day, Another State...Our Last

This morning we got a treat, we were able to sleep in because we didn't leave until 9:00 a.m. That meant the sun had already risen and we began our ride drenched in warm sunshine as well as warm temperatures...notice I'm not wearing my jacket!

The road out of town was pretty smooth, but no shoulders and we had those nasty headwinds on and off all day today. I can deal with these as long as we didn't have any rain, which I'm happy to say we DID NOT!

As we cycled on to our SAG stop at mile 30, a big black truck passed our pace line and just as he was passing me he punched the gas peddle and out came a huge cloud of black smoke from his exhaust pipes. It was so dark that I couldn't see the riders peddling in front of me. People like that give drivers a bad name. We also shared the road with a lot of trucks carrying logs, which made me wonder, where are they going and what will the logs be used for? When I'm on my bike for 61 miles, I'll often ask myself these strange type of questions to pass the time.

We also crossed one more state line today, our last of this trip. We're now officially in Florida. We're also days from finishing our Eastern Seaboard cycling trip. It seems just like yesterday we were starting our ride in the rain in south Portland, where have the days gone.


When we reached our hotel in Fernandina Beach, we cycling just 0.1 miles further to have lunch at the local Dairy Queen. They make the best grill cheese sandwiches.

Following lunch we rode another block to the beach and had our picture taken with the "Liberty". This sculpture is dedicated to all citizens of Nassau County who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States. " We also took a picture down on the boardwalk of the "Pedigrees", who have been riding together for a lot of the East Coast trip. Remember if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes, so 2 on and roll back.

No comments:

Post a Comment