Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Its A Race to the Swan Quarter Ferry

Today was a very interesting day. It began early, very early, 4:45 a.m. We found out in Route Rap last night that because of the storm damage from Irene in September, we couldn't take the Hatteras Ferry over to Ocracoke Island, NC. So Plan "B" was in effect.

What was Plan "B" you ask, well it had to do with some cyclists leaving the hotel in the pre-dawn light to try to cycle 80 miles by 12:00 noon while other cyclists rode in the van about 35-40 miles up the road and started their ride to the Ferry from that point. I was one of the lucky people to get to start my ride at the hotel, hence no picture before leaving on my ride today...not enough light.

Now I know I can ride 18-19 miles an hour but not for five hours and certainly not in the type of headwinds we experienced this morning as we road over the bridge on 64. Those were very heavy, which didn't help my efforts to make it to the Ferry on time. I must thank Michel for staying with me for the 35 miles that I did ride.

I so appreciated your company! I also look forward to getting the picture you took of me coming up the bridge with the sunrise in the background!

As we wait to board the Ferry you can see by my picture how windy our day was. Once we got to the Ferry at Swan Quarter, it took 2 1/2 hours to get across to Ocracoke Island. Far our long day and windy ride we made it to the Island and the good news is that we have a rest day tomorrow!
I must also commend Tracey and the Crew, in a moments notice they adjusted to Plan "B" with precision timing and patience. It all worked out and as Kevin from XC 10 would say, "It's All Good"!

Especially my room!!! A kitchenette no less, Howard Johnson eat your heart out!!!!

Oh yeah, no snakes sighted today. Just a few small smooched frogs.






No comments:

Post a Comment