Thursday, October 6, 2011

Clicking On All Cylinders


This morning we left for the Ferry to Cedar Island at 6:50 a.m. We loaded our bikes on the Ferry and left at 7:30. It was a 2 hour 15 minute crossing. Breakfast on the Ferry was great! Thank you Carol and Robin.

Once we unloaded we began our 86 mile ride to Jacksonville, NC. It was a perfect day for cycling, the sun was shining, the wind was at our backs for most of the day and the roads were great. We rode through Beaufort and Emerald Isles, as well as countryside where Irene hit and saw alot of debris still waiting to be taken away, it was a sad sight! We also cross more steel deck bridges and then finally cycled into Jacksonville. our ride today took about 5 hours and 15 minutes.
We also knew that today we had three opportunities to stop at a Dairy Queen along the way. We finally stopped at the last Dairy Queen about 18 miles from Jacksonville. My first Grilled Cheese sandwich of the trip. It was delicious!!!
Riding into Jacksonville was very important to me because its a Marine Corp town, this is where Camp Lejeune is located. As we came up to the Main Gate, we saw lots of personal signs welcoming the Marines home. At one stop light I spoke with a "Old Corp" Marine and thanked him for his service. I told him about what I was doing and showed him my IMSFF cycling jersey, he thanked me for what I was doing for the injured Marines.
Tonight I had dinner with a good friend of my husband Don who he service with in the Marines, Bill Gerichten and his wife Anne. Thank you so much for the home cooked meal and the chance to get to know you both better. We look forward to seeing you up in our neck of the woods real soon.









No comments:

Post a Comment